May for me is a month of endings...The school year, that at times seems to fly by and at other times creeps forward centimeter by centimeter, is winding to a close and I often find myself wondering: "What does the future hold for my kiddoes?" I've spent months helping to shape and educate these kids, whom already possess such proud and keenly developed personalities, into who they will be when they grow up, although I am whole-heartedly aware that I will only impact just a sliver of their futures. I want to shout at them "YOU are somebody, I will always believe in you, and I will always be here for you." These kids will move on in life, but they will always occupy a corner of my heart, for they continue to shape me into the person that I am and the person that I am destined to be. Yet, the ache of letting them go and not being able to protect them and guide them is a hard one because I have grown to love these kids, quirks and all, and my worry for them is fresh and pulsating underneath my skin and in my heart.
I have spent an amazing few months with my incredible Student Intern. She has taught me more than she will ever know. She is the kindest, most caring, and most grounded in faith person I have ever met. Our ending this week will be a bittersweet one. She is ready graduate, to go out into the world, find her place, and change the world. There is not a doubt in my heart that she WILL change the world one child at a time. When you have a hand in being someones mentor their hopes become your hopes, their dreams become your dreams, and you feel their excitements and their disappointments just as sharply as they do. All I want in this world is for her to have all her dreams in life come true. She will be an amazing educator but she is an even more amazing person and it has been truly an honor to work with her and learn from her everyday.
As hard as the endings are there is always the bright promise of a new beginning. With the ending of a school year comes the promise of long, hot, lazy summer days spent by the pool, catching up with friends, and spending much needed time with your families. You are given time to reflect, learn, sometimes regroup, and figure out a better more exciting game plan for your new beginning. You slowly become more confident in who you are, more settled into your skin, and you know you will be ok, more often than not, though, it takes an ending to figure that out.
May is my month of endings but the anticipation of my new beginnings has me on the edge of my seat...I can't wait to see what is to come, despite of what I have to endure to get to them. What will you do with your new beginnings?
"I wanted a perfect ending...
Now, I've learned the hard way that some poems
don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear
beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing,
having to change, taking the moment and
making the best of it,
without knowing what's going to happen next.
Delicious ambiguity."Gilda Radner
Now, I've learned the hard way that some poems
don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear
beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing,
having to change, taking the moment and
making the best of it,
without knowing what's going to happen next.
Delicious ambiguity."Gilda Radner
No comments:
Post a Comment